Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sorting Candy...Laments of a Kid


What's the first thing you did as a kid when you got home from a night of trick-or-treating? You dumped out the bag and sorted everything into love/hate piles. If you were lucky, your "love" pile was a lot bigger than your "hate." I wasn't a picky eater, so I viewed the majority of my loot as a successful score. That said, there were a few items I slid over to the other side, particularly these: 

YUCK YUCK YUCK
So strong is my opinion on bad Halloween treats, I've written up a guideline of sorts. Read and learn!

Halloween Sort
by
Michelle McCormick

This bag is full.
It weighs a ton!
I’m heading home.
My night is done.

Pour it out.
Evaluate:
Stuff I love.
Stuff I hate.

Black Licorice?
YUCK!! I’ll  pass.
I don’t eat stuff
that smells like gas!

My candy nightmare:
peanut chews.
They smell and taste
like Grandma’s shoes!

A box of raisins?
I’m gonna cry!
Don’t people know
the treats to buy?

I’m getting worried
What’s all this junk?
Where’s the
Chocko Chocky Chunks?

Seven pennies?
Who gives MONEY?
I WANT SUGAR!
This isn’t funny!

Toothbrush, apples,
sanitizer…
Everyone’s a
candy miser!


But WAIT! What’s that?
Could it be?
It’s bright and round
and sugary…

A green jaw breaker.
Now this is GREAT!
It’s the only candy
my mom will hate!

I pop it in,
then spit it out.
BLEECCKHH!

Who gave a brussel sprout?!

michellemccormick-author.com


1 comment: